Deutsch Happen - Learning German Online
Learn German online with lessons, vocabulary, videos, and other interesting information about Germany.
Books to read in the summer
Here are a few suggested books that you can read over the summer to improve your German:
- Die Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum) by Günter Grass (1959)
- Im Westen Nichts Neues (All Quiet on the Western Front) by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)
- Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald (2001)
- Bestattung eines Hundes (Funeral for a Dog) by Thomas Pletzinger (2008)
- Dorfpunks (Village Punks) by Rocko Schamoni (2004)
The more you practice reading, the better your German will improve. Rather than rushing through the story, you can take your time to study the sentence structure and vocabulary when you are reading a German book. And if you have any questions about the text, you can type up the phrase or sentence in an Excel spreadsheet, jot down a reference to the page in the book the text is found, and the ask your tutor or a native speaker when you have a chance so that they can explain the sentence structure and vocabulary to you.
More: Kill two birds with one stone
More: About German Grammar
More: Ändern and Verändern
More: Jemandem auf die Pelle rücken