Looking at the weather this spring summer still seems far, but I’ve been asked by a couple Deutsch Happen learners for some Buchtipps (m,pl.) – book recommendations for the Sommerpause (f) – summer break.
Frankly, this is always a bit challenging as you are all at different levels and have different preferences, interests and so on.
So, I thought why not give you some book recommendations that are public domain and include both some of the Klassiker (n,pl.) – classics as well as popular choices of the moment.
As these books are freely available, you will get a impression of the book’s difficulty and writing style. If you like a Buchtitel (m) – (book) title in particular you could still go to the Buchladen (m) – book store and purchase it or ask whether they have it in your Stadtbücherei (f) – local library.
Without further ado, here is the Deutsch Happen Summer Reading List.
Belletristik (f) – fiction, Romane (m,pl.) – romance, Kurzgeschichten (f,pl.) – short stories, Novellen (f,pl.) – novellas…
- Tod in Venedig – Thomas Mann
- Die Leiden des jungen Werther – JW v. Goethe
- Effi Briest – Theodor Fontane
- Die Marquise von O – Heinrich von Kleist
- Die Schachnovelle – Stefan Zweig
Sachbücher (n,pl.) – nonfiction, Philosophie (f) – phylosophy
- Siddharta – Hermann Hesse
- Also sprach Zarathustra – Friedrich Nietzsche
- Beantwortung der Frage: Was ist Aufklärung – Immanuel Kant
- Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten – idem
- Aphorismen zur Lebensweisheit – Arthur Schopenhauer
Belletristik (f) – fiction (popular)
- Der Schatz im Silbersee – Karl May
If you like Karl May, you can search for the author on the site and will find many of his most popular works including the Winnetou series.
- Die Fieberkurve – Friedrich Glauser
And in case you’re a fan of Franz Kafka like I am, there are several of his works available including
Der Leckerbissen – tidbit am Ende
Die Schrecken der deutschen Sprache – Mark Twain
You can also visit Projekt Gutenberg for the full catalog of available works (but I find it a little overwhelming to be honest)
If you want to support Deutsch Happen, please consider our new subscription option that you find on the right side or below this post. Thank you, vielen Dank!